Sunday, September 1, 2013

Is that normal?

During one of the classes we took it told us how often your baby should be peeing and pooping for the first few weeks. What did they forget to tell me... That it is 100% normal for a breast fed baby to stop popping!

I was frantic he hadn't pooped in a day and a half.

I text my husband a few million times asking him what I should do within the first 24 hours of him not going. He said we go to the doctor tomorrow we will ask them or if you're that worried call them now. I was trying not to be that mom who calls over every little thing so I waited it out. When we got there I was freaking, we had done this once before in the hospital and he was so miserable and had to have a suppository to help him. The nurse asked us if we had any concerns and I said yes he hasn't pooped in a day and a half. She said it was normal and that not to worry unless he didn't go for the next four days. I'm thinking yeah right lady four more days! I figured I would ask the doctor when she came in. The doctor said the same thing. Breast fed babies can go without pooping for up to a week, the doctor said. I have hear from other people up to two weeks. I wanted to know why, that doesn't seem very normal to me.The reason is, breast fed babies use everything you are giving them to grow. You may notice that you baby stops going everyday when they are entering a growth spurt.

If you think the baby is getting too uncomfortable there are a few things you can do to help them. It won't necessarily help them poop but it can get things moving if they have to. You can rub their bellies (our doctor said clockwise but we were told by another person counter clockwise). You can also take their legs and curl them up towards their tummy. Sorta like crunches only with the legs moving. My little guy loves standing and then squatting, then standing and so on. This is also a great move. These things will also help get any gas that they have moving also.

No comments:

Post a Comment