Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Induction starts


A little before midnight on the 29th we were taken back to a labor and delivery room where the magnesium sulfate was started. The doctors then came in to insert the first pill. Then the nurse put in the catheter. They tell you that feels like a little pinch, they lie. It hurts! My husband and I tried to get some sleep while we could knowing that we could have a long night ahead of us. I was going to have to get my blood taken every four hours (at least that is what I think it was but it might have been six) and we could have a long night a head of us.

After about five hours the doctors came in to recheck my cervix and see how I was doing. Yes five hours because there were a lot of women there having babies that night. There was still no change so another pill was inserted.

Back to sleep, resting for the hubby and I.

After another four or so hours I was checked again and there was still no to very little change. Yep you guessed it another pill. At this point we told that they normally only do three to four doses of the pill. The actual doctor came in to tell us that the baby will becoming today, Wednesday the 29th no matter what. It was up to the baby weather he came by choice or was going to be evicted. They were worried about my blood pressure.

They thought it best seeing as there was really no change to go ahead with one last dose of the pill. The last pill was put in and back to resting we went. Around 5pm I woke up from a good nap thinking I peed myself. Thoughts going through my head...omg! I just peed myself, wait I have a catheter in I can't pee myself, maybe the catheter came out, holy --it I think my water broke! Then there was a very loud "honey honey I think my water broke!!!" My husband woke up and looked to see if thats what happened. He said yes your water broke and we called the nurse. 

No, this stuff does not bother my husband at all. He used to be an EMT and is a volunteer fire fighter. He has seen some very terrible things. 

The nurse came in and also checked and verified that my water had broke. She then changed all the bedding pads I was laying on and explained that I was now in "active labor". She called the doctor and they decided not to start the pitocin to see if now that I was in labor that my body would do its thing on its own.

After about an hour I asked to see if I could get the epidural. I could not get out of bed because of the magnesium sulfate so there was nothing I could do to help with the contractions. The nurse came in and said yes it was okay to get the epidural and called for the anesthesiologist.

A short time later the anesthesiologist came in to put in the epidural. This was a challenge as I had been laying in bed for almost 19 hours at this point and needed to sit of the side of the bed, while having contractions and feeling out of it because of the mag sulfate. I did it with a lot of help from my husband and the nurse. The epidural was put in and I felt a lot better right away. With how quickly I felt it working the doctor was worried that it had gone in too far and that it was actually a spinal. Another person was sent in to start the medicine into the epidural so that it would continue to work. Because they thought it was in too far and a spinal the dose of the medicine had to be lower because other wise I would stop breathing. Okay... And the fun begins. 

After about 3 hours they came into check me again to see if there was any change. I was about 3 centimeters at this point and they said no pitocin but then changed their mind and decided to start it. I could start to feel the contractions again and could feel when they were checking my cervix and it was very painful. The nurse called to have the anesthesiologist come in and check me. I could feel the cold and pain sensation again so they realized that it was not a spinal but an epidural and uped the dose of medicine and bolised me. That helped a lot. 

Side note. Taking my blood was not an easy task as the if was in my right hand so they could only use the left and I was so swollen it was hard for them to find a vein. I have learned that getting your blood taken from the vein between you knuckles hurts the worst. 

No comments:

Post a Comment